By Christina Schaffner
This quantity bargains with political speeches, fairly commemorative addresses, from the viewpoint of serious discourse research. Such addresses are characterised as consultant and epideictic, as exemplified by way of an deal with fo the Dutch Queen Beatrix to the Knesset in the course of her 1995 nation stopover at to Israel. severe attention is given to the position of rhetoric inside political discourse anlysis.
Read or Download Analyzing Political Speeches PDF
Best rhetoric books
Writing in motion presents a step by step, functional advisor to the method of writing. even though the emphasis is on artistic writing, fiction, poetry and drama, it additionally covers autobiographical writing, the writing of news and essays. simply because it is a ebook approximately technique, instead of product, Writing in motion additionally seems on the perform of variation and modifying.
Kuypers, King, and their members discover the notion of rhetoric of 11 key American rhetoricians via analyses in their life's paintings. each one bankruptcy offers a feeling of that scholar's perception of rhetoric, be it via feedback, concept, or instructing. The verbal exchange self-discipline usually highlights the paintings of others outdoors the self-discipline; despite the fact that, it hardly ever acclaims the paintings of its personal critics, lecturers, and theorists.
Members: J. Jeffery Auer, Jeff D. Bass, Jane Blankenship, Robert J. Branham, DeLysa Burnier, Robin Carter, David Descutner, G. Thomas Goodnight, James Jasinski, Deborah ok. Johnson, Janette Kenner Muir, Catherine Helen Palczewski, W. Barnett Pearce, Michael Weiler, Marilyn J. younger
- Philosophy, rhetoric, literary criticism: (inter)views
- Thank You for Arguing: What Aristotle, Lincoln, and Homer Simpson Can Teach Us About the Art of Persuasion
- Intuition Pumps and Other Tools for Thinking
- Stories, meaning, and experience : narrativity and enaction
- Rhetorik und Stilistik Rhetoric and Stylistics: Teilband 2 (Handbucher Zur Sprach- Und Kommunikationswissenschaft Handbo): Halbband 2
Extra resources for Analyzing Political Speeches
1974) Frame Analysis. New York: Harper & Row. Goffman, E. (1979) Footing. Semiotica 25, 1-29. Goffman, E. Oxford: Basil Blackwell. Klein, J. (1995) Politische Rhetorik. Eine Theorieskizze in Rhetorik-kritischer Absicht mit Analysen zu Reden van Goebbels, Herzog und Kohl. Sprache und Literatur in Wissenschaft und Unterricht 75/76,62-99. Kopperschmidt, J. (1989) Öffentliche Rede in Deutschland. Muttersprache 99, 213-30. Lausberg, H. (1987) Elemente der literarischen Rhetorik Munich: Hueber. C. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
2. Behold, how good and how pleasant it is for brethren to dwell together in unity! (Psalm 133:1). O. Box 716, NL-9700 AS Groningen, Holland The paper discusses the development of rhetorical analyses of political addresses from classical antiquity to modern political communication. A specific genre, the 'epideictic address', is described in detail. It concerns addresses by representative persons. Most epideictic addresses turn out to be 'hybrid' texts because they combine an orientation towards (rhetorical-political) persuasion with an impetus to new 'expressions' which henceforward may be used in order to link socio-cultural practices with personal-political experiences.
3 Occasionally, and then often ironically, an orator is criticised for having delivered what is branded as a 'sermon', but in these cases the tone of voice and the preacher-like performance are intended (what is called actio or pronuntiatio by the classical rhetoricians), less the use of bible quotations: the latter functions as a blend of at least two discourses. In discourse analytical publications, intertextual relationships are normally analysed from the viewpoint of a text that 'combines' different voices within it: 'The question of how voices are woven together, how they are ordered with respect to each other, becomes decisive', as Fairclough (1995b: 84) puts it.