By Pamela Rice Hahn
Offers uncomplicated ideas of grammar and sentence development, exhibits the right kind use of punctuation, and discusses type, examine, and modifying.
Read or Download Alpha Teach Yourself Grammar and Style in 24 Hours PDF
Best rhetoric books
Writing in motion offers a step by step, functional consultant to the method of writing. even if the emphasis is on artistic writing, fiction, poetry and drama, it additionally covers autobiographical writing, the writing of news and essays. simply because this can be a ebook approximately method, instead of product, Writing in motion additionally appears on the perform of variation and modifying.
Kuypers, King, and their members discover the notion of rhetoric of 11 key American rhetoricians via analyses in their life's paintings. every one bankruptcy presents a feeling of that scholar's notion of rhetoric, be it via feedback, thought, or educating. The verbal exchange self-discipline frequently highlights the paintings of others open air the self-discipline; notwithstanding, it infrequently acclaims the paintings of its personal critics, lecturers, and theorists.
Members: J. Jeffery Auer, Jeff D. Bass, Jane Blankenship, Robert J. Branham, DeLysa Burnier, Robin Carter, David Descutner, G. Thomas Goodnight, James Jasinski, Deborah ok. Johnson, Janette Kenner Muir, Catherine Helen Palczewski, W. Barnett Pearce, Michael Weiler, Marilyn J. younger
- How to Write and Speak Correctly
- The Consequences of Economic Rhetoric
- From Idea to Essay: A Rhetoric, Reader, and Handbook (12th Edition)
- Current Trends in Narratology
- Metaphor: A Practical Introduction
Additional info for Alpha Teach Yourself Grammar and Style in 24 Hours
5. Darren went on vacation he traveled with Leslie. You can find out how well you did in the following sections. SENTENCE FRAGMENT A sentence fragment is an incomplete sentence. Either it lacks a subject or a predicate, or it is a sentence that is written in an attempt to use a subordinate clause or another incomplete thought as a complete sentence. When he left the house. Ronnie failed to lock the door. A sentence fragment that is a subordinate clause can be fixed by • Combining it with another sentence to make a complete thought: When he left the house, Ronnie failed to lock the door.
Once you’ve figured out the answer, you’ve found the complete subject. 2. What generally persists about a day? 3. What is the simple subject? The simple subject is the essential noun, pronoun, or group of words in the sentence. If you omit the simple subject, the sentence lacks its true meaning Mastering the Basic Parts of a Sentence because there’s not a word within the sentence to perform or receive the action from the verb. ” • Once you strip away most of the other words in the sentence—the complements and modifiers that you’ll learn more about as you progress through this book—you’re left with the simple subject: pain.
SIMILES A simile is a figure of speech that indicates a comparison. The existence of the comparison is explicitly signaled by a word such as “as” or “like” to present a contrast between two subjects or items. g. Marvin has muscles as strong as iron. Fog shrouded the countryside like a blanket. Rita’s words cut like a knife. SYNONYMS A synonym is a word that means the same thing as another word. Theoretically, no word is a complete synonym or has exactly the same meaning as another. There are usually subtle distinctions between the words (nuances), but the meanings are close enough to consider them the “same” in this instance.